Pizza is one of my favorite foods to make at home. Not only is it delicious, but you can really make use of what you have on hand.
Last week I stopped at the store to pick up something quick and decided to also grab some pre-made pizza dough, didn’t buy any recipe-specific toppings, just knew I needed pizza in the near future. A few days passed and I decided it was time for homemade pizza, so I began looking for some recipes online and I came across this delight from The Roasted Root. I didn’t have all of the ingredients the recipe called for, so I decided to adapt it based on what I had in the kitchen (wine > grocery shopping) and it turned out PHENOMENAL.
I have a love-love relationship with beets. I like them pickled, blended, pureed, roasted – you name it. Not to mention they have a TON of great health benefits. On the other hand, it took a little more convincing to get Will to not turn his nose up whenever they were on the menu, but I succeeded! I disguised them in delicious smoothies or covered them in goat cheese (which I did here!).
This recipe swaps tomato sauce for a beet pesto. It’s delicious and the color is insanely beautiful.
Beet, Spinach and Goat Cheese Pizza
1 Cup Cubed Roasted Beets (about 1-2 medium)
*To roast the beets, preheat the oven to 375 degrees, peel the beets, cube them and wrap them in foil and bake for 40 minutes or until soft*
1/2 Cup Toasted Pine Nuts
1/2 Cup Grated/Shredded Cheese
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
3 Cloves of Garlic (roughly chopped)
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper To Taste
1 Package Pre-Made Pizza Dough
1 Cup of Beet Pesto
1.5 Cups Spinach (Roughly Chopped)
4 oz Goat Cheese
1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
1. Once the roasted beets are cooled, combine all ingredients except for the olive oil into a food processor and pulse until combined.
2. Turn the processor on and add the olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
*If the pesto is too thick, add water*
*I added a few basil leaves because I had them in the garden, but they didn’t enhance the flavor*
1. Preheat the oven to 415 degrees.
2. Bake the dough (without toppings) in the oven for 5 minutes to make it easier to handle.
3. Remove the dough and add the pesto, spinach and top with cheeses.
4. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes and DEVOUR!