HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!! This is one of my favorite holidays to celebrate. Tacos, margaritas, tequila, guac; what else do you need? As I was sitting at work today, I couldn’t help but crave churros and wanted to share that craving with my co-workers. However, I was a little late to the game in preparation and decided to think up something quick and easy in my head that I could prep tonight and bring in tomorrow (or this weekend, if I became too lazy).
For the sake of time, I decided to enhance store-bought mix and icing. I figured I could just throw some cinnamon in the batter and call it a day, UNTIL I spotted cinnamon bun oreos! So, I decided to stuff my cupcakes with the oreos and add a little crunchy layer underneath the icing to give them a churro-esque texture.
Alas, Oreo Stuffed Churro Cupcakes. Now, if you don’t have time to whip these up before tomorrow’s festivities, why not expand your Cinco Celebration throughout the weekend?? Or make them just because; they’re that good (AND EASY)!
Oreo Stuffed Churro Cupcakes
1 box white cake mix (and the ingredients called for on the box)
2 jars cream cheese icing
1 package cinnamon bun oreos (or golden if you can’t find these – and add ground cinnamon)
4 tablespoons of butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 TSP ground cinnamon
Cupcake liners (since these were for Cinco De Mayo, I used red, green and white)
Decorative pieces (found these edible mustaches at Party City)
1. Mix cake batter according to box directions.
2. Line your muffin tins and pour 1 tbsp batter into each liner and then place one oreo into each liner and push down (the batter should hug the oreo, but not cover). Then place 1-2 tbsp more batter into each liner until they are 3/4 full.
3. Bake according to box directions (mine were perfect in 17 mins).
4. Move the cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely.
5. Once cooled completely, mix granulated sugar and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Brush melted butter on the tops of each cupcake and then dip into cinnamon sugar mixture.
6. Top with cream cheese frosting and decorative pieces.
7. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Set out 20 mins prior to serving.